2nd deputy wounded in Compton ambush shooting is released from hospital

A second Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department deputy was released Monday, Sept. 21, from a hospital after the two were shot in Compton earlier this month, authorities said.

The wounded deputies were resting Monday after they were treated following an ambush at the Metro Blue Line Station Saturday, Sept. 12, Los Angeles County Sheriff’s officials said on social media at about 6:15 p.m. Both have “a long road to recovery,” Sheriff’s officials said.

One of the injured deputies is a 24-year-old man who left treatment at St. Francis Medical Center in Lynwood four days after the shooting on Wednesday, Sept. 16. The other is a 31-year-old mother of a six-year-old.

It wasn’t immediately known if the injured female deputy, who was also treated at St. Francis, would receive long-term care elsewhere or if she could go home.

In the days after the shooting, Sheriff Alex Villanueva had said the department was trying to see if it could have the deputies transferred to a place where they could get long-term care.

Donors have pledged over $800,000 to pay for their medical expenses. A reward of over $500,000 has been offered for information leading to the arrest of whoever was responsible for the shooting.

On social media over the weekend, the LASD Transit Services Bureau posted photos of the injured female deputy in the hospital communicating with President Donald Trump, who the LASD said “called both of our deputies to check on their spirits, wish them a speedy recovery and remind them that the #american people are behind them and that the coward that harmed them will be brought to #justice!!”

Presidential candidate Joe Biden also contacted the department to offer support for the deputies.

The Transit Services deputies were seated in a marked Sheriff’s Department vehicle when a person was seen walking past them in surveillance footage recorded at the Metro Station. The suspect then turned and fired into the passenger side of the SUV before fleeing the scene.

No arrest had been announced as of Monday evening. A detailed description of any possible suspect was not immediately released.